The view is looking northwest. Part of the Frank 'n Bun's parking lot is in the lower left hand corner. The old strip shopping center is visible to the west of the new Sears Auto Center going up in the northwest corner of the intersection, along with a house here and there. All of them were demolished by the time the shopping center opened in February 1960. A drive-in theatre's parking lot is visible in the upper right corner.
On October 29, 1959, L. Allen Morris of The Allen Morris Company wrote that the Frank J. Rooney construction company was pouring the last of the concrete that day for the walls, ceilings, and stock room areas. It had been ten months since groundbreaking of the shopping center. He wrote that the center's grand opening was scheduled for the week of February 15, 1960, the height of the Miami tourist season. The elevated truck ramp was finished in September and proving very useful in delivery of construction material to all buildings. Sears was expected to move into their store for fixturing on November 1st. Bill Bradford, a long-time member of the Allen Morris organization, was handling the leasing out of their leasing offices at 2775 NW 79 Street. His phone number was OXford 1-1712.
On July 15, 1959, Mr. Morris wrote that Frank Rooney's construction company was pouring 400 to 600 cubic yars of concrete each week. Over 5,000 cubic yards (approximately 10,000 tons) had been poured in place. Forty tenant leases had been signed and approximately 94% of retail store space had been leased. In July they were hoping for a grand opening in January 1960.