photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
Vlada Marinkovic | all galleries >> Galleries >> Srbija (Serbia) > Princess Ljubica Residence
previous | next

Princess Ljubica Residence

It was built in 1829-1831 under the supervision of Hadži-Nikola Živković, the pioneer of Serbian architecture in the first half of XIX century. By the order of Knez Miloš Obrenović it was built as a living place for his family, Kneginja (Princess) Ljubica and sons - Milan and Mihailo. The building is preserved until today as a most representative urban house of the first half of XIX century. Its design has all the characteristics of Oriental architecture, and its variant, so-called Serbian-Balkan style, but containing decorative elements of classicism which announced the influence of the West on the national architecture in the early period of renewal of Serbian state.

Since the throning of Aleksandar Karađorđević in 1842, the building has been used as a Lice, Court of Cassation and Appeal Court, Museum of Art, Church Museum, Senior Home, Bureau for Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia, an today it is a part of the Museum of the City of Belgrade and it is used for exhibitions of museum material and paintings. The permanent exhibition in the Konak consists of original furniture, made in Oriental-Balkan style as well as in other styles of that time (classicism, Biedermeier, neo-baroque)
(1788-1843), wife of Knez Miloš Obrenović
In her marriage with Miloš she has born sons Milan, who ruled Serbia for less than a month, from June 13 until July 8, 1839 and died young, and Mihailo, who ruled twice, 1839-1842 and 1860-1868
(From the

Nikon D300
1/60s f/5.6 at 18.0mm iso200 full exif

other sizes: small medium original auto
comment | share