|Jeff Cochran | profile | all galleries >> ENTER >> Wormsloe Historic Site||tree view | thumbnails | slideshow|
Wormsloe Plantation was established in 1737 by Noble Jones, one of the first British colonists in the area, who arrived with James Edward Oglethorpe in 1733. The site is situated on a forested peninsula surrounded by coastal marshes and includes a plantation house built by Jones' grandson in 1828, a detached library, the tabby ruins of a colonial fortified house, a mile-long drive bordered by large live oaks, and Confederate earthworks. Wormsloe was Noble Jones' country estate where he tested his horticultural interests. Jones protected the cypress and oak forests of his property and never cultivated the land. In addition to raising his family at Wormsloe, Jones also commanded here a company of Marines charged with Georgia's coastal defense. The surviving ruins of the original house are one of the only remaining examples of a fortified house, a common domestic design throughout early coastal Georgia.