The replacement for the D800 arrived the other day. I had a day off today so went out to see how it performed. It wasn't a great experience overall. I had some focus problems but figure I need to better learn how to use the camera, but had some real disappointments with high ISO shots, which is what I frequently do in places like usually dark churches. Unless the room is brilliantly lit, ISO 5000 is pretty unusable; the noise was horrific (although maybe it's worse because I can see it better on such enormous files, but I don't think that's entirely it). But in anything less than brilliantly lit, I normally couldn't use more than f2.8, and even that with a pretty slow shutter speed. After my first bout with the camera, I downloaded the files and nine of the 82 pictures I took couldn't be processed from the RAW file because they had suffered some mishap, like PS said an "end of file had been encountered" or something. (How odd is this; I just went to see exactly what it said, and now the files are OK. Update: Now they aren't again. Who knows.) Maybe it was the memory card, I have no idea at this point.
Anyway, I tried it several more times during the day with somewhat similar results. This image, which I liked, was taken of a Kalocsa apron I have hanging in a very bright hallway. It's not hanging evenly, for the record ;-).