The developers opened the Omni International Mall in February 1977. The two story shopping mall was built on the north of the beautiful Jordan Marsh department store that opened in February 1956 at NE 14th Street and Biscayne Boulevard. A large J. C. Penney store anchored the north end. The Jordan Marsh store closed when the chain was liquidated by Federated Department Stores and Burdine's moved in but only lasted a year before closing on May 31, 1992. J. C. Penney closed their store on the north end in 1998. With both anchor stores on both ends empty the mall struggled to survive but died in 2000.
Note how the postcard company air-brushed the ugly Miami Herald building out of the bayfront land between the MacArthur and Venetian Causeways. A Miami Herald article about the Omni Mall is located at: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article146288594.html .