Kun Ting Study Hall was built in 1870.
It was a purposely-built study hall for the sons of the Tang clan
to prepare for the Imperial Civil Service Examinations.
In that period, daughters were not allowed to take the examinations.
In 1898, after Britain obtained a 99-year lease of the New Territories,
the British Army had occupied the study hall as their local command centre for a few months.
After the army moved out, the British-Hong Kong Government sent
one English and one Chinese teachers there to teach the youngsters.
It was the origin of the Government School in Hong Kong.
Posted on 28 January 2009
Best viewed at "original" size