In 1914 the Marconi Company built 14 steel towers 400-feet high in a field on the north side of town. The station was taken over by the Navy in WW1, and after the war Marconi sold the station to RCA. In 1927 4 300-foot shortwave towers were added. WW2 brought the station back under the control of the Navy, and eventually, the Air Force, who actually bought the station from RCA in 1956. A few years later they decided to dismantle the towers and let the field revert to its natural vegetation. Concrete pylons, tower bases, and rusty guy wires lie where they fell and the forest has grown up around them.