This tower was build together with a second tower situated on a dune called "het Torensduin". The second tower, "de zuidertoren" was decommissioned in 1891 and torn down in 1915. The tower in Egmond was chosen as J.C.J van Speijk monument in 1838, in remembrance of the Lieutenant, who rather died than to surrender to the enemy, the Belgians. He set fire to the supply of gunpowder aboard his ship on February 5, 1831. Other than himself, 25 crewmembers and a number of Belgians died in the blast. Originally a new tower was to be build for Van Speijk as a monument, but the total amount of gift funds, 48000 guilders, was insufficient. So it was decided to rebuild the existing tower to monument.
Number: B 0842