This is believed to be the oldest house in the Garden District. Built in 1838 for Thomas Toby, a businessman from Philadephia, it is the type of architecture that reflects the style of the West Indies plantation homes that were built in New Orleans at the time.
Mr. Toby came to New Orleans in the early 1800's and made his fortune as a wheelwright.
After Mr. Toby's death Thomas Dugan purchased the house as a wedding present to his daughter, Louise, in 1858 who married into the Westfeldt family. Their descendants still live in the home.
The spacious grounds are completely surrounded by lush foliage, trees and shrubs thus giving only a glimpse to the street.
Raised on piers these were the type houses built to escape the overflow of the Mississippi River during high water seasons.