Resto. I donít know quite how old this lamp is, or how long L has owned it. I do know that when I first saw it, it was in a terrible state. Not only covered a think layer of dust, it had been badly rewired in modern flex of a type that looked more suitable for a military application. The design of the lamp with the switch and lamp housings separate meant that the outer insulation needed to be stripped an inch short of the lamp, with the inner wires then split off in different directions. It looked dangerous. It probably was. It was crying out for a rewire in the proper braided flex it was designed for, and a good clean. I tracked down the cable, a new switch and grommets, and set about a resto job. Along the way I learned how to tie a proper strain relief knot and now itís safe, functional and beautiful. I think it looks like the sort of thing that might turn up in an episode of Poirot.
The only reason to bring it up today is that I've just received another order of braided flex for a similar treatment to our porch light.
10 years ago today there was a sunset.