The counts of Katzenelnbogen founded Rheinfels Castle around 1245.
In 1479 the castle came to the landgraves of Hessen who expanded Rheinfels to a fortress.
Then in 1794 Rheinfels fell, without a fight, to the French revolutionary army, that blew it up.
Since 1925 Rheinfels Fortress is a property of the city of St. Goar and houses a museum and a
View in original size recommended.