Gutenfels Castle was built in 1220. It was used with the toll castle, Pfalzgrafenstein in the middle of the Rhein
and the fortified town of Kaub on the far side, to provide an impenetrable toll zone for the Holy Roman Emperor
until Prussia purchased the area (1866) and ended this toll in 1867.
The castle is part of the Rhine Gorge, a UNESCO World Heritage Site added in 2002.