Castleconnell, Co. Limerick, (Caisleán Uí Chonaill in Irish) is a small, scenic village on the south bank of the river Shannon. It is seven miles (11 km) from Limerick city, just across the river from Co. Clare and about 3 miles from Co. Tipperary. Many fine 19th century buildings overlook the river Shannon in Castleconnell. One of these, the former schoolhouse, is now home to the Irish Harp Centre; another, the former convent, is now the Castleoaks House Hotel. Both buildings are on the south side of the village.
** History: The ruins of the 'Castle of Connell' from which the name of the village derives, was built on a rocky outcrop overlooking the bend of the river. It was destroyed in a siege by the army of General Ginkel, fighting in support of the Army of William of Orange at the end of the 17th century. Even today a large chunk of the castle wall lies some fifty feet from the castle, thrown clear across the road by siege cannons. A footbridge over the river Shannon, built during the 1939-1945 'Emergency' by the Irish Army - connects counties Limerick and Clare.