|John Barreiro | profile | all galleries >> The Czech Republic plus Bratislava & Budapest >> Bratislava, Slovakia >> Gymnázium Grösslingová 18||tree view | thumbnails | slideshow|
Constructed between 1906 and 1908, the building originally housed the Kráľovského katolíckeho gymnázia - the Royal Catholic Gymnasium (high school). During both World Wars, the building served as a hospital. The school, which is known for its mathematics program, moved to another location between 2008-2010 while the building was beautifully restored.
The school is among a number of Art Nouveau buildings found in an area of Bratislava east of the old town. The street name Grösslingová refers to the island which was at this location before the area was drained. It was the work of the prominent Hungarian architect Ödön Lechner (1845–1914). Across from the rear of the gymnázium is the Blue Church which was also designed by Lechner.