At one time, Lake Erieís Long Point had a navigable Cut through it, which was a preferable route to the perilous trip around Long Point. A lighthouse was built in 1879, on the eastern side of the cut to assist sailorís to itís entrance.
In 1906, a severe storm filled in the cut, never to be reopened. The lighthouse continued to function for several years afterward, finally closing in 1916. It was eventually sold to a private owner who converted it to a residence.