One of the most prominent features of Lake Erie, is Long Point, an almost 20 mile long peninsula near the middle of the lake, extending southeastward from the northern shore. Sandbars form off the point creating perilous hazards to shipping, causing many shipwrecks. The waters off Long Point have earned the designation as “Graveyard of the Great Lakes” owing to the approximate 200 shipwrecks in the vicinity.
The first light on Long Point was completed in 1830, and took the form of a round stone tower, approximately 30 feet tall.
In 1843, the second lighthouse was built, and it was more than twice the height of the original lighthouse at 70 feet, this lighthouse remained in service until 1916, when it too was replaced due to threatening erosion.
The third and present day lighthouse was put into service in 1916, and stands 102 feet tall. It has been updated numerous times throughout the years, most recently in the late 1980’s when erosion control measures were taken, concrete slabs installed around the base, which can serve as helicopter landing pads, and was totally automated.
Long Point itself is privately owned by the Long Point Company, and some property between the tip and the mainland is a National Wildlife Area, making access almost impossible. Almost.