Santa Maria del Carmine is a church of the Carmelite Order, in the Oltrarno district of Florence. It is famous as the location of the Brancacci Chapel housing outstanding Renaissance frescoes by Masaccio and Masolino da Panicale, later finished by Filippino Lippi.
The church, dedicated to the BeatŠ Virginis MariŠ de monte Carmelo, was built from 1268 as part of Carmelite convent, which is still existing today. Of the original edifice only some Romanesque-Gothic remains can be seen on the sides. The complex was enlarged a first time in 1328 and again in 1464, when the capitular hall and the refectory added, though the church maintained the Latin Cross, one nave pan.
Renovated in the Baroque style in the 16thľ17th centuries, it was damaged by a fire in 1771 and rebuilt internally in the Rococo style in 1782. The fašade, like in many Florentine churches, remained unfinished. The fire did not touch the sacristy: therefore have survived the Stories of St. Cecilia attributed to Lippo d'Andrea (c. 1400) and the marble monument of Pier Soderini by Benedetto da Rovezzano (1511ľ1513). The vault of the nave has a trompe-l'oeil fresco by Domenico Stagi.