The Jewish cemetery in Karczew was opened in the 19th century. It is located on a sand dune.
The last known burial took place here in 1941.
During World War II the cemetery was devastated by the Germans. The matzevot were used for regulating the stream of the Vistula River.
To this day about 200 tombstones have been preserved in the area of 2ha, with the oldest one dating from 1876. Most of them are fallen or broken.
Still an unknown number of matzevot are covered with a layer of sand.
OCTOBER 2010 CHALLENGE - "THE NATURE OF THINGS"
WEEKLY INFORMAL CHALLENGE - WEEK 27 - "Signs"