Wuhou Si, also called Temple of the Marquis or Duke of Wu, was first built in the last years of the Western Jin Dynasty (AD 265-316) in honour of Zhuge Liang, the Duke of Wu who was a military strategist during the Three Kingdoms period.
During the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), Wuhou Si was merged with the nearby Zhaomeliao Temple, which was dedicated to the memory of Emperor Liu Bei. As a result, the plaque at the entrance reads, Zhaolie Temple of the Han Dynasty, as Zhaolie is the posthumous title for Emperor Liu Bei. The temple, as seen today, was rebuilt in 1672 during the Kangxi era of the Qing dynasty. It is surrounded by cypresses, bamboos and classical red walls.