Second try ("Piano Lid").
While my first attempt was pleasing, I also wanted to try a portrait format as well. The background image here was one of my favorites - an image of that same window with the book, but included underneath is the grand piano lid with the glass reflecting on the black polished surface. This results in a good abstract background, much like the one I used for the Arcadia Music Academy piece I had done earlier.
With the dark areas and vertical format, I was able to incorporate the full verse into this version. This version also differs from the first try in that I placed the image underneath the full area of the frame. In the first draft, I placed the background image only in the upper right quadrant, and didn't cover the left side and bottom side, leaving the background underneath those areas black. In this version I made the background image full size. and allowed it to show through from underneath the stained glass, resulting in a more complex composition (but possibly more busy as well).
I liked the colors and images within the stained glass windows on the left side and positioned the smaller pictures so that the main elements of the stained glass window ramained partially visible. Additionally, the vertical format allowed me to include more stained glass images in a longer side strip.
I was hoping to get a good picture of the window etching of Christ that is in the rear of the sanctuary, but I didn't have much success. However, I did end up with a more abstract "essence" of that etching in a picture of Christ's hand. I was drawn to that image and tried to include it in most of the versions. In this version and others I was interested in associating that hand with the word "King" in the verse.