Hope lies on the northern end of Kenai Peninsula, on the south shore of the Turnagain Arm of Cook Inlet. The community lies on the 17-mile Hope Highway, northwest of the Seward Highway, near the mouth of Resurrection Creek. "Hope City" was a mining camp for Resurrection Creek, established in 1896. The Hope post office began operating in 1897. Portions of the town were destroyed in the 1964 earthquake.