Highlights of our excellent trip to Kenya in June 2009 with African Wildcats Adventure Safaris, whose skilled and knowledgeable guides made our visit a memorable one. We spent most of our time visiting five areas:
- the arid scrub of Samburu and Buffalo Springs National Reserves near the center of the country, at the edge of the northern deserts;
- the lushly forested mountains of Aberdares National Park in the central highlands;
- the dramatic acacia savannah and wetlands of Amboseli National Park on the southern border with Tanzania;
- the shimmering alkaline waters of Lake Nakuru National Park in the Rift Valley; and
- the sweeping grasslands of Masai Mara near the southwest corner of Kenya;
with several roadside birding stops in-between. Even though the trip was only partially designed for birding, we still managed to see 232 species, plus 43 species of mammals.