photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
Doug J | profile | all galleries >> Ayutthaya, Thailand tree view | thumbnails | slideshow

Birds, Birds, Birds | Fauna - Mostly Asia | Orchids of Singapore | Singapore, Around Town | Burma - Myanmar | Bangkok, Thailand | Ayutthaya, Thailand | Northern Thailand Galleries | The Floating Market, Thailand | Kanchanaburi, Thailand | Hua Hin, Thailand | Vietnam | China Galleries | India | New Zealand | Across Asia & Australia | Nineteen Seventy - USS Bon Homme Richard, CVA-31 | Mostly Monocolor | Namhea Island, South Korea | Non sequitur | odds_and_ends | Lens Tests

Ayutthaya, Thailand

Photos of several key temples in Ayutthaya, Thailand

Wat Phra Si Sanphet
Built by King Boromatrailokanat in 1448 in the old capital of Thailand, the three bell-shaped chedis of Wat Phra Si Sanphet have practically become a symbol of Ayutthay. It was reportedly one of the grandest temples in the ancient capital, and it is still one of the best preserved on the island.

The temple took its name from the large standing Buddha image erected there in 1503. The image stood 16 meters (53 feet) tall and was covered with more than 150 kilograms (330 pounds) of gold. The Buddha was smashed to pieces when the Burmese sacked the city. King Rama I collected the remaining pieces and placed them in a chedi at Wat Po in Bangkok. 


Wat Chaimongkhon
King Naresuan the Great commissioned the pagoda to be built to celebrate his victory over the Burmese in 1593. On the northeast side of the wat is a large reclining Buddha housed within a ruined wiharn. The chedi, the largest in Thailand, contains relics of Lord Buddha.


Bang Pa-In Palace
This riverside summer palace was constructed during the reign of King Prasat Thong (1629 - 1656), and revived by King Rama IV of the Chakri dynasty (1851 - 1868). Bang Pa-In Palace was popular with late Ayutthaya-period monarchs and early kings of the present Chakri dynasty.

When Bangkok became the new Thai capital in 1782, Bang Pa-In remained deserted for 80 years. King Rama IV (reign: 1851-1868) stayed there and had a residence constructed in the old palace compound.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites
Wat Phra Si Sanphet
Wat Phra Si Sanphet
Wat Phra Si Sanphet
Wat Phra Si Sanphet
Wat Phra Si Sanphet
Wat Phra Si Sanphet
Wat Phra Si Sanphet
Wat Phra Si Sanphet
Wat Phra Si Sanphet
Wat Phra Si Sanphet
Wat Phra Si Sanphet
Wat Phra Si Sanphet
Wat Chaimongkhon
Wat Chaimongkhon
Wat Chaimongkhon
Wat Chaimongkhon
Wat Chaimongkhon
Wat Chaimongkhon
Wat Chaimongkhon
Wat Chaimongkhon
Applying gold leaf to an idol - Wat Chaimongkhon
Applying gold leaf to an idol - Wat Chaimongkhon
Princes and elephants in battle - Wat Chaimongkhon
Princes and elephants in battle - Wat Chaimongkhon
Phra Thinang Aisawan Thiphya  Art
Phra Thinang Aisawan Thiphya Art
Wehat Chamrun Hall
Wehat Chamrun Hall
Elephant herd
Elephant herd
Tevalaj-Kanlai Gate - Bang Pa-In Palace
Tevalaj-Kanlai Gate - Bang Pa-In Palace
Purple on white
Purple on white
Restoration
Restoration