The great book “Iznik”; by Atasoy and Raby, Alexandria Press, London calls this an example of The circle of the Master of the Knots”, it is a mosque lamp (hanging from chains that were hooked into the three “ears”, two are visible). Circa 1510, 27,6 cm. high.
It is from the Sokollu Mehmet Pasha mosque.
An example of the pure white ground on which the blue design (stylised branches and leaves, flowers and blossoms, clouds, calligraphies) is depicted. These designs were drawn by the artists of the Topkapı Sarayı workshop and sent to the potters at Iznik for transfer to the objects that were wanted.
İznik pottery, named after the town in western Anatolia where it was made, is a decorated ceramic that was produced from the last quarter of the 15th century until the end of the 17th century. İznik town was an established centre for the production of simple earthenware pottery with an underglaze decoration when in the last quarter of the 15th century, craftsmen in the town began to manufacture high quality pottery with a fritware body (frit being added to clay to reduce its fusion temperature), painted with cobalt blue under a colourless lead glaze. The meticulous designs combined traditional Ottoman arabesque patterns with Chinese elements. The change was a result of the active intervention and patronage by the recently established Ottoman court in Istanbul, who greatly valued Chinese blue-and-white porcelain.
Correspondent: J.M.Criel, Antwerpen.