The Behram Pasha Mosque dates from 1572 and is the largest of the city. It was named after an Ottoman governor.
On the picture: Close-up or the muqarnas (stalactites) vaulting above the main entrance to the prayer hall.
Under the muqarnas (and above the door) there is a ‘kitabe’ (building inscription) that names Behram Paşa as commissioner and gives the date the mosque was finished: H. 980 (= 1572-1573 AD).
Behram Paşa was the 13th Ottoman governor of Diyarbakır since the town became Ottoman. He was a son of Kara Şahin Mustafa Paşa (of the prominent Sokollu family).
Correspondent: J.M.Criel, Antwerpen.
Sources: ‘Türkiye Tarihi Yerler Kılavuzu’ – M.Orhan Bayrak, Inkılâp Kitabevi, Istanbul, 1994.
& Websites of ‘diyarbakirmuftulugu.gov.tr’ and ‘beautifulmosque.com’ .