The Eşrefoğlu Camii (mosque) was built together with a türbe (mausoleum), a caravanserai, a bedesten (market hall) and a hamam (Turkish bath). The whole külliye (complex) took some five years to be built (1296-1301), ordered by the Eşrefoğlu prince Şerafettin Süleyman Halil Bey.
On the picture: The mosque, the türbe and the bedesten with its six small domes. The latter was rebuilt by the Ottoman in the 16th century, in a Classical Ottoman style.
Külliye, deriving from the Arabic word "kull" (meaning the whole, all) is a term which designates a complex of buildings, centered around a mosque and managed within a single institution, often based on a vakıf (foundation). Additional to the mosque, it can be composed of a medrese (school), a darüşşifa (hospital), kitchens for the poor, bakery, hamam, library, arasta (shops), caravanserai and other buildings for various benevolent services for the community. Often the türbe of the initiator will be present too.
Correspondent: J.M.Criel, Antwerpen.
Sources: ‘Türkye Tarihi Yerler Kılavuzu’ – M.Orhan Bayrak, Inkılâp Kitabevi, Istanbul, 1994 ,
‘Agon Cultuur reisgidsen’ – M.Mehling, 1989 & Wikipedia.