The Eşrefoğlu Camii (mosque) was built together with a türbe (mausoleum), a caravanserai, a bedesten (market hall) and a hamam (Turkish bath). The whole külliye (complex) took some five years to be built (1296-1301), ordered by the Eşrefoğlu prince Şerafettin Süleyman Halil Bey.
On the picture: The mosque and the türbe.
During the last years of Seljuks of Rum (after their defeat at Kösedağ against the Ilkhanid Mongols in 1243), various Seljuk governors enjoyed a partial independency. They established their own (semi) independent principalities (so-called ‘Anatolian Beyliks’). Eşrefoğulları (Eshrefids) was a small beylik in center west Anatolia. After 1288, Süleyman Bey, the second bey of Eshrefids rebuilt the city of Beyşehir as a capital of his beylik. Although his beylik was a relatively unimportant political power, the city flourished as one of the cultural centers of late-Seljuk world.
Correspondent: J.M.Criel, Antwerpen.
Sources: ‘Türkye Tarihi Yerler Kılavuzu’ – M.Orhan Bayrak, Inkılâp Kitabevi, Istanbul, 1994 ,
‘Agon Cultuur reisgidsen’ – M.Mehling, 1989 & Wikipedia.