photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
Don Boyd | all galleries >> Memories of Old Hialeah, Old Miami and Old South Florida Photo Galleries - largest non-Facebook collection on the internet >> Miami Area SCHOOLS, Classes, Teams, Bands, and Clubs Historical Photos Gallery - All Years - click on image to view > Early 1950's - Lindsey Hopkins Education Building, home of Miami Technical High School and WTHS
previous | next
Early 1950s - Lindsey Hopkins Education Building, home of Miami Technical High School and WTHS
Early 1950's Courtesy of Rowena Sumrall

Early 1950's - Lindsey Hopkins Education Building, home of Miami Technical High School and WTHS

1400 N. E. 2nd Avenue, Miami, Florida view map


Thank you to Rowena Sumrall, Miami Tech High Class of 1956, for contributing this great old image. Miami Technical High School opened shortly after World War II with an initial enrollment of 400 students. Prior to that, the School Board of Dade County purchased The Roosevelt Hotel, an unfinished 15-story hotel started in Miami's boom years, from Mr. Lindsey Hopkins who had moved to Miami from Atlanta where he made his fortune from Coca-Cola stock for $225,000. They sold the original Technical High School site across the street for $50,000 and using $400,000 in federal money they remodeled the building and moved Miami Tech and the school board's administrative offices into it. The building was then renamed Lindsey Hopkins Building. Somewhere along the way, in the late 1950's, the technical school was renamed to Lindsey Hopkins Education Center.

In 1983 the school was relocated to 750 NW 20th Street, Miami. The Lindsey Hopkins Building was demolished in 1988.


other sizes: small medium original
comment | share