photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
Don Boyd | all galleries >> Memories of Old Hialeah, Old Miami and Old South Florida Photo Galleries - largest non-Facebook collection on the internet >> 1920 to 1929 Miami Area Historical Photos Gallery - click on image to view > 1920's - mid winter hay making on Dr. John G. DuPuis' White Belt Dairy Farm, Miami (comments below)
previous | next
1920s - mid winter hay making on Dr. John G. DuPuis White Belt Dairy Farm, Miami (comments below)
1920's From a postcard

1920's - mid winter hay making on Dr. John G. DuPuis' White Belt Dairy Farm, Miami (comments below)

Miami, Florida


Before Dr. Jackson of Jackson Hospital fame, there was Dr. John G DuPuis. Dr. DuPuis delivered over 5,000 babies in Ft. Dallas and early Miami and had a Dairy called White Belt Dairy. He had a formula he called "Special Milk" just for babies to make them healthy.

According to Martha Pierson, a contributor to this site, Dr. and Mrs. DuPuis lived on NW 62nd Street and 37th Ave. Their house was a grand "old Miami" home with an avocado grove, fruit orchard and fresh eggs. Martha's mother was friends with Dr. DuPuis and his wife and he advocated eating native fruits, mangos, guavas, etc. The entrance to the home had a stuffed Florida panther on display because Dr. DuPuis killed it outside their home. Like so many other historical sites in South Florida the DuPuis home has been torn down and a closed gas station now sits on the property.

Information on the John G. DuPuis Wildlife and Environmental Area in northwest Palm Beach County and southwest Martin County:
http://www.floridaconservation.org/recreation/cooperative/dupuis.asp

John G. and Susan H. DuPuis, Jr. Wildlife and Environmental Area consists of nearly 22,000 acres in northwestern Palm Beach and southwestern Martin counties and adjoins the J. W. Corbett Wildlife Management Area to the east. A visitor center is located at Gate 5 on SR 76. This property was formerly the White Belt Ranch, a working livestock ranch owned by the late John G. DuPuis. Once part of the Everglades ecosystem, the hydrology of the area was altered through drainage. The water management district has restored portions of the land by rehydrating interior wetlands. Today, two-thirds of the area is pinelands, and one-third is cypress swamp and freshwater marsh. In the rainy season, the pine flatwoods often contain standing water and portions of the roads could be flooded. This is a no-cost quota hunt area, and deer, hog, and turkey are plentiful. During hunting seasons, with the exception of small game season, access to the area is open only to quota hunt permit holders and through-hikers on the Ocean to Lake Trail, an official side trail of the Florida National Scenic Trail. The 35 miles of hiking trails on the area include the Ocean to Lake Trail, which traverses the width of the area, and 4 loops ranging from 5 to 15.6 miles. Parking for hikers is located at the trailhead at Gate 2. An equestrian center at Gate 3 has horse barns, paddocks, campsites, restrooms with showers, a dump station, and a trailhead marking the beginning of 40 miles of equestrian trails. The DuPuis Auto Tour winds 7.5 miles through a range of natural communities to the fishing pier on Shell Lake. Camping is permitted at designated campgrounds as well as at primitive campsites along the Ocean to Lake Trail and biking is allowed on named roads. Alligators, river otters, feral hogs, coyotes, white-tailed deer, and bald eagles are some of the wildlife that make their home on this area.


other sizes: small medium original
comment | share