The Tsar Bell stands next to the Bell Tower and is the largest in the world, weighing over 200 tons.
The original Tsar Bell (18 tons) was cast in the 15th century; this fell from the bell tower in the
mid-17th century and was broken into pieces. A second Tsar Bell was cast in 1655 using remnants of
the first bell, but considerably larger at 100 tons, but was again destroyed by fire in 1701.
Empress Anna ordered a third bell to be cast from the pieces, with its weight increased by another
100 tons. After several attempts, the new bell was cast in 1737, but before it was completed, and
while it was still cooling from the casting, another fire broke out in the Kremlin. Fearing damage
from the fire, guards threw cold water on it, causing it to crack and a huge (11.5 tons) slab broke
off. Fire burned through the wooden supports and the bell fell back into the casting pit, where it
remained until 1836 when it was finally raised and placed on a stone pedestal.