photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
Sunbird Photos by Don Boyd | all galleries >> U. S. Coast Guard Stock and Non-Stock Photos Gallery > 1970 - USCG Lightship Five Fathom (WAL 530) and CGC Mariposa (WLB 397) photo #CG70_
previous | next
1970 - USCG Lightship Five Fathom (WAL 530) and CGC Mariposa (WLB 397) photo #CG70_
JUL-1970 Sunbird Photos by Don Boyd

1970 - USCG Lightship Five Fathom (WAL 530) and CGC Mariposa (WLB 397) photo #CG70_

Coast Guard Recruit Training Center, Cape May, NJ


CGC Mariposa (right) is a 180' seagoing buoy tender. This class of buoy tenders were built in Duluth, MN from 1942 to 1944 except for one that was built at the Coast Guard Yard, Curtis Bay, MD.

The CGC Five Fathom Lightship (left) was built in 1923 at the Bath Iron Works in Maine at a contract price of $200,000. Sister Vessels: LV 106,107,109,110,111

DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull, steel pilot house and deckhouses; 2 masts with lantern galleries, smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 132'4" (loa); BEAM: 30'0"; DRAFT: 14'7"; TONNAGE: 775 displ

PROPULSION: Steam - compound reciprocating engine, 400 IHP; 2 oil fired Scotch marine boilers, 120 psi; 4 bladed propeller; max speed 9 knots

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 375mm electric lens lantern at each masthead

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle, submarine bell, hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 108-
Delivered Sep 17, 1923-
Equipped with~ radio and radio beacon when built-
1935: Fog signal changed to steam diaphragm horn-
1945: Fitted with detection radar-
1959: Steam power plant removed; repowered with GM 268A diesel 500HP, 4'9" dia
propeller; max speed listed as 6 knots-
1964: USCG lists vessel with duplex 375mm lens lantern on foremast, 15,000cp
each lamp; F2T air diaphone; CR-103 radar, otherwise as shown above-
Radio and visual call sign NMGW (1940-1964)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 108 / WAL 530
1923: Relief (3d District)
1924-1942: Five Fathom Bank (NJ)
1942-1945: Examination Vessel, WWII
1945-1970: Five Fathom Bank (NJ)

(1942-1945: During WWII, withdrawn from Five Fathom and stationed at Edgemoor Depot (DE); used as examination vessel; armed with one 6-pounder)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 108 / WAL 530-
1929 Jun 8, crew rescued USCG warrant officer, pilot of amphibian aircraft which made forced landing near lightship; plane was brought alongside and pumped out; later picked up and taken ashore by tender-
1930 Jun, radio beacon of Five Fathom LV 108 sequenced with Overfalls and Winter Quarter

More notes:
RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1970; AGE: 47
SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Aug 31, 1970; donated Dec 29, 1971 (recipient not shown). Said to have been scrapped at Norfolk (VA), 1975

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 108 / WAL 530
?-1936: Theodore P Maffia, Master
1964: WO David L Trax, OIC


other sizes: small medium original
comment | share