Fort Egbert mule barn
Eagle City (founded in 1897) is a living museum and many of the residents are historians of one kind or another. Thanks to the Eagle Historical Society buildings, like the old church , City Hall and Waterfront Customs House have been restored and preserved with care. The photogenic town of 140 breathes authenticity and seems relatively untouched. Visitors come in on the Taylor Highway or by riverboat.
Eagle was named after the many nesting eagles on nearby Eagle Bluff.
In the center of Eagle on First Street stands a wooden 'wellhouse' from 1903. The hand-dug well still provides water for half of Eagle's population.
Across the street is the Power and Telephone Company. And on Front Street, that runs along the Yukon River, the old Eagle Trading Company provides groceries and supplies for both locals and visitors.
The best deal in town is the guided walking tour provided by the Historical Society. It starts in the old Wickersham Courthouse and takes you in two to three hours through four museums. A highlight of the tour is Fort Egbert with its granary and mule barn full of relics from the past, located on the far side of the grassy Eagle airstrip. The remains of Fort Egbert (1900-1911) were restored in the seventies by the BLM.
A few gold miners still make a living on their claims around Eagle. In the goldrush days the town was a supply center for miners and stampeders, until they moved on to Fairbanks or Nome.