The Tilya-Kori Madrasah is the third and last Islamic school on Samarkand’s Registan public square. It was built between 1646 and 1660. It was not only a residential college for students but also served as a grand mosque, whose main hall is abundantly gilded.
The Registan, meaning “sandy place” or “desert” in Persian, was the heart of the ancient city of Samarkand of the Timurid dynasty. It was a public square where people gathered to hear royal proclamations, heralded by blasts on enormous copper pipes, as well as a place for public executions. It is framed by three madrasahs (Islamic schools) of distinctive Islamic architecture.
Sher-Dor Madrasah, front, Samarkand, posted earlier: