The Registan, meaning “sandy place” or “desert” in Persian, was the heart of the ancient city of Samarkand of the Timurid dynasty. It was a public square where people gathered to hear royal proclamations, heralded by blasts on enormous copper pipes, as well as a place for public executions. It is framed by three madrasahs (Islamic schools) of distinctive Islamic architecture, the first of which at left was built in 1417-1420.
From Astana, Tim went on to Uzbekistan and took a train to Samarkand on Saturday.
Jade-topped tomb of Tamerlane, Gur-e-Amir, posted earlier: