I have several rangefinder cameras for different film formats. All my *roids are rangefinters as well as 4x5 Graflex Crown Graphics. But this page is deducated to 35mm rangefinders.
Shooting 35mm rangefinder is special expirience. It is usially light weight and small size, perfect camera to carry around while walking/hiking and alike. It is also quiet and low profile camera. The advantages over the SLR include:
- Small Lenses (no mirror box)
- Quiet Operation (no mirror flip-flop)
- Slow Shutter Speeds can be used (no vibration from mirror flip-flop)
- Seeing Outside The Frame (so you can plan you shot before the object will be in the frame area)
- Rangefinder Accuracy (True for good rangefinders, they are very precise)
And of course it is a special way to see the picture. With SLR, you can see somithing like you future shot, the picture on ground glass. With rangefinder you see the object as you can see it with your eyes, unaltered. Very different way, more involving.