The Bell County Courthouse designed in the Renaissance Revival style was truly a magnificent structure in 1884.
However, like many of the prominent Texas courthouses, federally funded renovation projects of the 1930's and 1950's had a detrimental impact on the building. The clock tower and much of the rich roof details were removed, the historic interior was modernized and radically altered.
The Commissioners Court began the process of a complete restoration of the Bell County Courthouse in August 1998. The statue, dome, and clock tower were replaced with replicas in December 1999, returning the Courthouse to near its original beauty.