The Gettysburg Cyclorama is a huge (377 feet by 42 feet) painting by Paul Dominique Philippoteaux, and first exhibited in 1884. It was exhibited in the round and viewed from a raised platform in the middle of the circle formed by the painting. It depicts Pickettís Charge, a decisive moment in the Battle of Gettysburg, itself a critical event in the U S Civil War. The work had been exhibited in a dedicated building at Gettysburg and had deteriorated badly over the years. It was extensively restored over a period of about 3 years and re-installed in the new Gettysburg visitorís center in 2008. The new installation includes real objects, such as ammunition carts in the foreground, that appear to blend seamlessly with the painting.