|Lee Kindness | profile | all galleries >> Scotland >> Edinburgh >> Powderhall / Canonmills / Broughton / Bellevue >> Warriston Cemetery||tree view | thumbnails | slideshow|
A really run down cemetery... Quite a place, full of hidden corners.
Excerpt from Historic Scotland: Founded in 1842 by the Edinburgh Cemetery Company, and known as The Edinburgh Cemetery, Warriston was one of a number of commercial cemeteries laid out in the mid 19th century by David Cousin. The Prospectus explains that "the spread of education, and the dissemination of works of art and science... have led all classes to desire that the style, situation and the whole arrangement of Public Burial Grounds should be improved." "To the advantage of ground admirably adapted for the purpose, and laid out in a pleasing and appropriate manner," were to be added "greater facilities for all classes, especially the Poor," and "reduced expenses." A mortuary chapel (demolished by 1930) for the use of the Episcopalian community was erected on the terrace above the catacombs.
A white marble gothic shrine with ruby glass windows lighting a recumbent female figure, described in BUILDINGS OF EDINBURGH, has sadly been destroyed by vandals.
The cemetery has suffered a period of severe vandalism, which seems largely to have come to an end. Its overgrown and neglected state, while contributing to an atmosphere of romantic melancholy, contributes also to its continuing deterioration, while invasive species threaten the remains of the original planting.
Edinburgh Council made a compulsory purchase of the cemetery in 1994, citing neglect. However the council themself have vandalised the cemetery, knocking over 500+ headstones for safety reasons. More information here and here.