The original corpus against the Trg republike, was built in 1902 according to the design of Andra Stevanović and Nikola Nestorović. The part facing Laza Paču Street was built in 1930, when the counter-hall (today the atrium of the National Museum) was arranged. In World War II the building was heavily damaged, and after the war it was rebuilt without the dome it has today. In the sixties, thanks to the efforts of then the manager of the National Museum, Dr. Lazar Trifunović, the central dome was back in place, and the interior arranged, so that today it fully serves its purpose.
(From the www.beograd.org)