The Marine Museum Of Manitoba (Selkirk)
The “M.S. Keenora” was built in 1897 for the Rainy River Navigation Company of Rat Portage, Ontario. It was named for the three towns in the area: KEEwatin, NOranda, and Rat Portage. Later the town of Rat Portage was renamed after the boat, but to avoid confusion, one “E” was dropped from the town’s name to make “Kenora”
The “Keenora” was originally used for service on Lake of the Woods between Rat Portage and Fort Francis, Ontario. In 1917 she was cut in half and shipped to Winnipeg where she was reassembled with a 50 foot section added to the middle.