The musée d'Orsay is a museum housed in a grand railway station built in 1900. Home to many sculptures and impressionist paintings, it has become one of Paris' most popular museums.
The train station was completely abandoned since 1961 when it was saved from demolition by the French president Pompidou. In 1978 the president Giscard d'Estaing decided to use the gare d'Orsay as a museum for 19th and 20th century art. It would not only contain paintings, but it would cover different art forms, including sculptures, engravings, photos, film, architecture and urbanism. Restoration of the musée d'Orsay started in 1979 and finally on the 29th November, 1986 it was inaugurated by the French president Mitterand.