Standing more than 51-meter (150-feet) tall, the Gothic structure is an important historical landmark in the Old Town district,
which once served as part of the old city hall. The tower was built between 1442 and 1450 as an observation point for sentries who announced the hours of the day.
The guards also maintained civic order at night and monitored the city for fires, hostile intruders and other dangerous situations. (Source: Innsbruck Tourist Information)
© Thomas LeRoy 2010-2018 Images may not be downloaded, copied, altered or linked - All Rights Reserved.