Schönburg Castle was first mentioned in history between the years 911 and 1166.
The castle was burned down in 1689 by French soldiers during the Palatinate wars.
Schönburg castle remained in ruins for 200 years until it was acquired by the German-American Rhinelander family who bought the castle from the town of Oberwesel
in the late 19th century, and restored it.
The town council of Oberwesel acquired the castle back from the Rhinelander family in 1950.
Since 1957 the Hüttl family have been living at the castle on a long-term lease;
they operate a successful hotel and restaurant there. (Wikipedia)