Elector of Brandenburg, Frederick III
The statue was designed in 1698 by Andreas Schlüter and commissioned by King Frederick the First, the elector's son.
It used to stand elsewhere, was removed in 1943 and sent on board a ship for safety, but the ship was overloaded and sank in Tegel Harbor. After the statue was recovered in 1953, it was relocated to the courtyard of Charlottenburg Palace, which seems the natural setting for it.
© Thomas LeRoy 2010-2018 Images may not be downloaded, copied, altered or linked - All Rights Reserved.