Bamberger Dom St. Peter and St. Georg is one of the best-known architectural monuments in Germany and has been Bamberg's most famous landmark since its completion in the 13th century.
The cathedral is under the administration of the Roman Catholic Church and is the seat of the Archbishop of Bamberg.
The cathedral is a late Romanesque building with four imposing towers. It was founded in 1004 by the emperor Henry II, finished in 1012 and consecrated on May 6, 1012.
It was later partially destroyed by fire in 1081. The new cathedral, built by St. Otto of Bamberg, was consecrated in 1111, and in the 13th century (1215 - 1237) received its present late-Romanesque form.