First, a hermitage dedicated to San Bernardo, patron of Salta; then , a hospital was added, in 1586.
In 1846 was definitely made a convent and given to congregations of nuns of Carmelitas descalzas, who added a beautiful old door,
belonging to a Salta family and carved in algarrobo wood by our aborigines in 1762.
Only Carmelite nuns may enter the Convento de San Bernardo, but they sell pastries to the visitants through a traditional revolving cupboard
that avoids their having direct contact with the outside world.