those dots at top of it are persons!
The construction of the railway started in 1921, to connect the North of Argentina
with Chile across the Andes, and to serve the borax mines of the area.
The La Polvorilla viaduct, the highest of the line, was finished on November 7, 1932.
The complete railway was inaugurated on February 20, 1948, but it was not until the late 1970s
that it started being visited by tourists.
The route was designed by US engineer Richard Fontaine Maury, after whom one of the stations has been named.