The lake was originally named Forney Lake for the nearby town of Forney, Texas. After the City of Dallas incorporated the lake, it was renamed after a living person, Ray Hubbard, who presided over the Dallas Parks and Recreation System board from 1943 to 1972.
Lake Ray Hubbard has a surface area of 21,671 acres and a maximum depth of 40 feet. It is popular
with fishermen for white and hybrid striped bass, large mouth bass, channel and blue catfish and white crappie.