Located on the Great River Road about 20 minutes west of New Orleans the manor house is the oldest documented home in the lower Mississippi Valley. It was built in 1787 and in 1789 Noel d'Estrehan became the owner. The town is named for d'Estrehan.
It is now owned and in the stewardship of the River Road Historical Society and depends largely on tourism for its upkeep. Since Katrina, tourism has been almost non-existent in New Orleans and the Society is relying heavily on local bookings for weddings and parties.