The Julia West Hamilton League, Inc. - THE ONLY GIFT IS A PORTION OF THYSELF
TRIBUTE TO THE JULIA WEST HAMILTON LEAGUE, INC. -- HON. ELEANOR HOLMES NORTON (Extension of Remarks - March 04, 1998)
HON. ELEANOR HOLMES NORTON (in the House of Representatives) WEDNESDAY, MARCH 4, 1998
* Ms. NORTON. Mr. Speaker, I rise to pay tribute to The Julia West Hamilton League, Inc., which was formed in 1938, the outgrowth of 10 women who dared to dream. Mrs. Ellen V. Johns Britain, the organizer, believed that women joining together as a dedicated unit might accomplish some of the things that seemed impossible at that time, but could be helpful to the betterment of the community, education, youth and self.
* Mr. Speaker the League was named to honor a great woman who gave unsparingly of her time, devotion and love to the causes of humanity, Mrs. Julia West Hamilton, who was a participating member of the League until her death. The League was incorporated in 1971. The first president was Mary EC Gregory. The League is currently led by Mary J. Thompson.
* Mr. Speaker, The purpose of the League is (1) to promote benevolence, cultural and educational interests in the community; (2) to strive to gain new knowledge and skills of achieving better self-understanding, learning to interact more sensitively and honestly with others; (3) to encourage young people to aim early in life toward education, develop good character and find a useful place in society; and (4) to establish a monetary award known as the Julia West Hamilton Award. This award is presented to a student in each of the 14 senior high schools in Washington, DC and a four-year Julia West Hamilton Scholarship is awarded to a recipient from one of the senior high schools every four years. To date, the League has provided over $68,000 in student awards and scholarships.
* Over the past 21 years the League has donated approximately $73,500 to the Hospital for Sick Children and has supported Howard University's Sickle Cell Anemia Program. The League has also contributed to the Brigadier General West A. Hamilton Scholarship Fund of the Washington Club of Frontiers International, the United Negro College Fund, the Cardozo and Eastern High School bands and the Eastern High School Choir for travel abroad. Assistance is also provided to needy families at Thanksgiving and Christmas. The League holds lifetime memberships with the National Council of Negro Women and the Phyllis Wheatley YWCA. In 1980, the Ellen V. Johns Britain Award was established in honor of the founder of the Julia West Hamilton League, Inc. This award is presented for out-standing and dedicated services to a member of longstanding.
* Mr. Speaker, I ask that this August body join me in special tribute to the gentle ladies of The Julia West Hamilton League, Inc. whose motto, `THE ONLY GIFT IS A PORTION OF THYSELF' and good works, on the occasion of their 60th anniversary, are worthy to be praised.